Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Daly City ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Daly City?

A professional license is an indication that an individual is competent to offer certain professional services. Therefore, residents of Daly City are advised to hire licensed professionals for their intended projects. The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) licenses several professionals who offer services across more than 280 professional and business categories, and residents can verify the license of these professionals by utilizing the DCA license search portal. For general license-related inquiries or assistance with verifying a professional's license, residents can also contact the DCA at (800) 952-5210.

Asides from verifying a professional's license, residents are also advised to adhere to any city requirements related to their intended project. For instance, residents must ensure they, or their hired contractor, obtain the relevant permits before starting any home improvement or construction-related projects. The Daly City Department of Economic and Community Development generally issues these permits through its Building Division, and queries regarding permits can be directed to this Division at (650) 991-8061 or by email.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Daly City Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Daly City City Council serves as the city's local government and oversees all city concerns, including allocating city budgets, creating developmental policies, and supervising neighborhood matters. The City Council consists of four Council Members and the City Mayor. Residents who desire to contact the City Council for government-related concerns, such as requesting clarification regarding specific government actions, can do so either by email, by dialing (650) 991-8008, or by submitting an online contact form.

Although the City Council oversees all city concerns, it does not issue construction or home improvement permits. Nevertheless, it creates policies and deliberates on actions that ensure the city's development and the general well-being of city residents. For example, in February 2021, the City Council held a priority-setting workshop where it outlined increased affordable housing, citywide infrastructural maintenance, and a restoration of public libraries and recreational amenities as some of the city government's current priorities. Also, in March 2021, the City Council approved hazard pay for grocery store workers to compensate them for their exposure to COVID-19 and related work stress.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Daly City?

Residents of Daly City who are victims of a consumer scam or an unfair business practice can report such an occurrence to the Consumer and Environmental Protection Unit (CEPU) of the San Mateo District Attorney's Office. To do so, aggrieved residents must fill a downloadable consumer complaint form and email the completed form or mail it to

  • Consumer and Environmental Protection Unit
  • San Mateo County District Attorney's Office
  • Hall of Justice and Records
  • 400 County Center
  • 3rd Floor
  • Redwood City, CA 94063

Residents who want to make inquiries or request assistance with filing unfair business complaints can also contact the CEPU at (650) 363-4651.

The CEPU generally reviews all submitted consumer complaints and takes necessary measures to address each complaint. Such measures include advising the relevant parties to mediate, suing the relevant business or professional, or referring the complaint to another consumer protection or government agency. However, you should note that measures taken by the CEPU are usually in the public's interest and not in a complainant's individual interest. Therefore, there is no guarantee that you will be compensated for the unfair practices you experienced. Nonetheless, you can claim damages against the business or professional by commencing a small claims action. Small claims actions in Daly City are typically commenced at the San Mateo County Superior Court of California. Note that you cannot claim more than $10,000 in a small claims action. Also, before filing a small claims action, you should engage an attorney for legal advice and an assessment of your available legal options.