Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Glendale ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Glendale?

Over 200 categories of professionals in Glendale that wish to provide services to residents of the city and other interested parties are required to obtain a requisite occupational license from the California Department of Consumer Affairs. These licenses are issued by the agency's 39 boards and bureaus, and it is your responsibility to make sure that any professional you intend to hire within the city has a valid license obtained from the appropriate board or bureau. You can carry out this task by using the DCA license search portal provided by the Department of Consumer Affairs for this purpose.

Once you have ascertained the licensing status of your preferred professional, it may be necessary to take a step further by ensuring that you obtain city-issued permits for your intended project. Permits are generally required for projects that involve the construction, modification, or demolition of buildings and structures, and they can be obtained via the Permit Services Center of the Glendale Community Development Department. You can contact this department at (818) 548-2140 to get specific details on the requirements and procedure for obtaining these permits as it relates to your particular project.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Glendale Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Glendale is home to various neighborhoods and communities, many of which have local neighborhood associations that are created by residents and other stakeholders. These associations, or groups and organizations as the case may be, do not have the authority to issue construction and building-related permits to any interested parties in the city. However, they generally advocate for the development and overall improvement of their respective neighborhoods and communities. Glendale neighborhood associations and community organizations typically collaborate with relevant city agencies and authorities, such as the city's Neighborhood Services Division and City Council, to achieve their aims and goals. For example, the City Council held a public hearing in January 2021 to get public comments and opinions on the proposed demolition of an existing commercial building around the Crescenta Canada Tract area of the city and the construction of a new affordable housing residential development in its place. In April 2021, the Greater Downtown Glendale Association partnered with a non-profit organization in the city to launch a brand new event aimed at supporting the arts and local businesses in the area.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Glendale?

Matters involving the unfair or deceptive activities of businesses in Glendale are handled by the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs. Complaints can be filed with this office by completing an online consumer complaint form or by calling either (800) 593-8222 or (213) 974-1452. Alternatively, unfair business complaints can also be filed by contacting the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Glendale Area Office at:

  • 600 East Broadway
  • Room 280
  • Glendale, CA 91206
  • Phone: (818) 500-3593

While these offices typically utilize methods like investigations, mediations, arbitrations, referrals to other agencies, or even prosecutions, it should be noted that there is no guarantee of personal restitution when you file a complaint with either of them. However, you can pursue private legal action and seek redress from a business by filing a lawsuit in an appropriate court of law. If your monetary claim is not more than $10,000, then this lawsuit can be filed in a Los Angeles County Superior Court's Small Claims Division. You can utilize the resources and assistance webpage provided by this court to get information on how to properly file your small claims case. You can also get referrals to attorneys in Glendale by contacting the Los Angeles County Bar Association's SmartLaw Lawyer Referral Service online or by calling (213) 243-1525 between the hours of 8:45 a.m. 5:00 p.m., Mondays to Fridays.