Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Hayward ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Hayward?

More than 3.6 million qualified professionals are allowed to offer their services to the residents of Hayward. The qualification of these professionals is determined by several factors, one of which is the possession of a valid occupational license issued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). This agency has 39 boards and bureaus that collectively regulate the activities of over 200 categories of professionals, and it is in your best interest to always confirm that any professional you intend to hire in Hayward has been duly licensed by the DCA. You can do this by making use of the readily accessible online license search tool that the DCA provides and maintains to assist interested parties with this task.

In addition to confirming that your intended professional possesses a valid state-issued occupational license, you should also find out whether or not a city-issued permit will be required for the task at hand. Permitting in Hayward is generally handled by the city's Permit Center, which is a one-stop location for the review of building plans, development projects, and permit issuance. Note that while permits are typically required for building and construction-related projects, you may also be required to obtain a permit for certain non-construction-related projects, such as fire and hazmat-related projects and even food sharing and food vending projects. You can make inquires and get assistance on the Hayward permitting process by contacting the city's Permit Center at:

  • 777 B Street
  • 1st Floor Lobby
  • Hayward, CA 94541
  • Hours: 9:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m., Mondays to Thursdays

You can also contact a Permit Technician from this center at (510) 583-4005 for building and construction-related permit assistance.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Hayward Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Hayward neighborhood councils, groups, or associations do not issue permits. These organizations, which are typically made up of like-minded residents of the city's various neighborhoods, generally work towards the preservation and enhancement of the quality of life of their communities. In many cases, these goals are achieved through collaboration with relevant government and private stakeholders, such as the Hayward Community Services Division. In 2020, Hayward initiated a Let's House Hayward strategic plan as part of its sustained efforts to reduce homelessness and create affordable housing for its residents. Similarly, concerned residents and community organizations recently collaborated with city officials to provide relief and refugee resettlement assistance and resources to members of the city's local Afghan community. You can contact the Hayward Community Services Division at (510) 583-4250 to get information on relevant and available services and resources that can be accessed by residents in your neighborhood.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Hayward?

Residents of Hayward can file unfair business complaints by completing the Consumer Fraud Form provided by the Consumer, Environmental & Worker Protection Division of the Alameda County District Attorney's Office. The completed form, along with any relevant documents that support your complaint, can be submitted via mail to:

  • 7677 Oakport Street
  • Suite 650
  • Oakland, CA 94621

You can also contact this office at (510) 383-8600 or via email to make inquiries concerning its complaint process. Note that even though this office can bring criminal and civil actions against the business mentioned in your complaint, these actions cannot be brought on your behalf, neither can the office represent you in seeking personal remedies. As such, if you intend to seek personal remedies from a business, then you should also hire a private attorney and pursue legal action in addition to filing a complaint with the Alameda County District Attorney's Office. You can get referrals to attorneys near you by contacting the Alameda County Bar Association at (510) 302-2222. Alternatively, you can utilize the information and resources provided by the Alameda County Superior Court's Self-Help Center to file a small claims action at the Alameda County Small Claims Court without an attorney. Note that this court only has limited jurisdiction over civil matters that do not involve more than $10,000.