Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Lancaster ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Lancaster?

Hiring a professional that has been duly licensed by the appropriate licensing authority is an important step to take in ensuring the success of your project. The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) is the agency responsible for overseeing the activities of more than 200 categories of professionals in Lancaster, and this includes electricians, plumbers, accountants, and home improvement contractors. The DCA licenses and regulates these professionals through 39 different boards and bureaus, and it is your responsibility to make sure that the professional you wish to hire has been duly licensed by this agency. You can verify the licensing status of your intended professional by using the online license search tool that the DCA provides and maintains for this purpose.

Another important step in ensuring a successful project is obtaining any necessary permits that may be required for the job. Lancaster generally requires you to obtain a permit for projects that involve building and construction, as well as the installation or modification of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems. These permits are issued by the Building and Safety Division of the Lancaster Development Service Department, and failing to obtain a required permit for your project can result in city-imposed sanctions and penalties. You can contact the Building and Safety Division at (661) 723-6144 to get information concerning its permitting requirements and how they relate to your intended project. Queries can also be directed to this office in person at:

  • 44933 N. Fern Avenue
  • Lancaster, CA 93534
  • Hours: 8:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m., Mondays to Thursdays and 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m. on Fridays

Do Lancaster Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood groups and community-based organizations in Lancaster do not issue permits. Instead, these groups and organizations partner with relevant city departments and stakeholders to identify the strengths and opportunities in their respective neighborhoods, provide necessary information for residents, and assist in the maintenance and improvement of life quality in the city. For instance, in July 2021, Lancaster teamed up with local organizations to arrange a charity bike ride event. The proceeds of this event went to a local non-profit organization dedicated to making safe transportation available and affordable for every resident of the city. Also in July 2021, city officials announced that Lancaster would be closing its two mass-vaccination sites located at Antelope Valley Fairgrounds and shifting its focus to smaller and more accessible clinics within its different neighborhoods. You can contact the Lancaster Department of Housing and Neighborhood Revitalization at (661)723-6121 to get information on available services, programs, and projects that may be beneficial to your area of residence and community in general.

California Contractor License Search:

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Lancaster?

Residents of Lancaster can file unfair business complaints with the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs, either by calling phone numbers (213) 974-1452 and (800) 593-8222, or by completing and submitting its online consumer complaint form. Complaints concerning unfair and deceptive business practices in Lancaster can also be filed with the Antelope Valley Branch Office of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, which is located at:

  • 42011 4th Street West
  • Suite 3530
  • Lancaster, CA 93534
  • Phone: (661) 974-7700

You should note that neither of these offices can guarantee you personal restitution when you file an unfair business complaint with them. These offices generally solve consumer issues through methods like arbitration, mediation, prosecution, or referral to other investigative agencies, and the method that they employ is primarily dependent on the nature of your complaint. If you wish to obtain refunds or seek damages from the subject of your complaint, then you should consider hiring an attorney and pursuing private legal action. You can get access to qualified attorneys in Lancaster through the Los Angeles County Bar Association's SmartLaw Lawyer Referral Service, which can be contacted online or via phone number (213) 243-1525. You may also pursue legal action without an attorney at a Los Angeles County Small Claims Court for civil matters that do not involve more than $10,000. This court provides potential plaintiffs with access to online resources and assistance that you can use to get information on how to pursue your small claims action.