Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Modesto ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Modesto?

The California Department of Consumer Affairs is the licensing authority charged with regulating the affairs of eligible professionals in Modesto. This agency issues over 200 types of occupational licenses to qualified professionals in the city through 39 boards and bureaus, and it is essential that you verify that your intended professional has obtained the appropriate license for the job at hand. You can perform this task online through the DCA license search portal that the agency provides and maintains for this purpose.

Once you have confirmed that your professional is duly licensed, you should also make sure that you obtain any city-required permits for your project before commencing any actual work. Permits are typically required for construction and building-related and they are issued by the Building Safety and Neighborhood Preservation Unit of the Modesto Community and Economic Development Department. Note that these city-required permits are not limited to construction and building-related projects, and failing to obtain a necessary permit for your project can result in fines and other administrative penalties. As such, it is advisable to contact the Modesto Community and Economic Development Department at (209) 571-5566 to find out if your specific project will require a permit and the procedure for pulling this permit.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Modesto Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, neighborhood associations and community groups in Modesto do not issue permits. These organizations, which are generally made up of residents and other interested stakeholders in various Modesto neighborhoods, typically work with city agencies as well as the Modesto City Council to ensure the safety and livability of their different areas of residence. You can utilize the resources available on the city's council district locator webpage to find out the district that your neighborhood belongs to. You can also access information on your district representative via the city's council members directory. In May 2021, the Modesto City Council launched a Forward Group Initiative aimed at improving the trust and relationship between the police and members of the city's various neighborhoods and communities. Similarly, in August 2021, city officials launched the CannaPass MoTown initiative, a government-sponsored cannabis tourism campaign that is aimed at increasing local revenue in the city by encouraging visitor spending in its local cannabis industry.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Modesto?

The Stanislaus County District Attorney's Consumer Protection Unit is responsible for investigating and prosecuting matters that involve unfair, unlawful, or deceptive business practices that occur in Modesto. You can file a complaint with this office concerning these types of matters by completing and submitting an online consumer complaint form. Queries and reports can also be directed to the Consumer Protection Unit via phone number (209) 525-5550 or in person at:

  • 832 12th Street
  • Suite 300
  • Modesto, CA 95354

It is important to note that actions taken by the Stanislaus County District Attorney's Office are generally in the interest of the public and not private citizens. As such, this office cannot represent you if you are seeking the return of your money or any other form of personal remedy from the business that you filed a complaint against. However, you can consult with an attorney and take private legal action against this business to get these personal remedies. If you are seeking $10,000 or less, this legal action can be taken by filing a lawsuit with the Small Claims Division of the Stanislaus County Superior Court. You can get assistance on how to file a small claims lawsuit by contacting the Stanislaus County Small Claims Advisor via email or by calling (209) 530-3178. You can also contact the Small Claims Advisor in person at:

  • Superior Court of California, County of Stanislaus
  • Self-help Center
  • 800 11th Street
  • Room 220
  • Modesto, CA 95354
  • Hours: 8:00 a.m. noon, 1:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m., Mondays to Thursdays and 1:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m. on Fridays

Finally, you can also get referrals to attorneys near you by contacting the Stanislaus County Bar Association's Lawyer's Reference Service at (209) 571-5727. Note that you may be required to pay a consultation fee for this service.