Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Orange ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Orange?

The activities of professionals in Orange are regulated at the state level by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). This department has 39 boards and bureaus that administer licenses to more than 200 types of professionals, including accountants, real estate appraisers, health-related professionals, and construction and home improvement-related professionals. Confirming the licensing status of these professionals is an important step to take before finalizing any hiring arrangements, as a DCA-issued license indicates that the professional in question is qualified to provide the intended service. You can confirm the licensing status of professionals in Orange by making use of the DCA license search tool that is available online to all interested parties.

In addition to confirming your professional's state-issued license, you may be required to obtain locally issued permits before undertaking a project in Orange. These permits, which include building, mechanical, fire, electrical, and plumbing permits, are typically required for projects that involve the construction of new buildings and structures or the alteration and modification of already existing ones. Permit-issuance in Orange is generally handled by the Building Division of the city's Community Development Department, and you can contact this division at (714) 744-7200 to make inquiries concerning this process.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Orange Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Orange is divided into six districts, each of which elects a resident to represent its interests on the Orange City Council. The city council also consists of a mayor and two other members that are elected at large, all of whom are collectively responsible for enacting municipal legislation and administering policy decisions in Orange. However, neither the city council nor any of the city's local community-based organizations are empowered to issue building and construction-related permits. Interested parties can use the city's online map to find out which district they live in. In May 2021, the Orange City Council announced that it would be taking a final vote to either approve or reject a local ordinance that seeks to tighten regulations on the operations of short-term rentals in the city. In July 2021, it was reported that Orange may be facing a legal battle over its decision to shut down a local homeless kitchen located on W. Struck Avenue that it claimed had become a public nuisance that was enabling homelessness in the city.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Orange?

Unfair business complaints in Orange can be filed by downloading, completing, and submitting a Consumer Complaint Form to the Consumer Protection Unit of the Orange County District Attorney's Office. This form can be submitted via email or by regular mail to:

  • 300 N. Flower Street
  • P.O. Box 808
  • Santa Ana, CA 92703

Queries can also be directed to this office at (714) 834-3482 and (714) 834-6553.

The Orange County District Attorney's Office may take up to eight weeks to review and respond to complaints that are filed with its Consumer Protection Unit. This timeframe is primarily dependent on the nature of the complaint filed and the amount of actionable information that the complainant provides. It is important to note that even though this office is empowered to investigate and prosecute consumer complaints, it is not allowed to act as an attorney on behalf of individual complainants or give legal advice and opinions to them. Also, there is no guarantee that complainants will obtain restitution as a result of filing complaints with this office. Nevertheless, after filing a consumer complaint, you can also consult with a private lawyer on possible legal actions that you can take to obtain restitution from the subject of your complaint. For example, in matters that involve $10,000 or less, you can take private legal action by filing a lawsuit with the Orange County Small Claims Court. You can find qualified lawyers near you by contacting the Orange County Bar Association, either online or by calling (949) 440-6747 or (877) 257-4762.