Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Rialto ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Rialto?

You must exercise due diligence when hiring a professional to handle your project in Rialto. One way to determine a professional's competence is to find out if this professional is licensed. This is because licensing typically involves these professionals taking proficiency examinations that determine their eligibility for certain tasks. The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), through different licensing entities, licenses several professionals in Rialto across over 280 license categories. To verify a professional's license, you can check the DCA license search portal or contact the DCA at (800) 952-5210 for assistance or inquiries. Note that professionals in Rialto City must further register within the city before offering their services to city residents. The city's Community Development Department, through its Business License Division, handles this registration process and issues business licenses to registered professionals. For inquiries regarding business licenses, you can contact this Department by email or phone at (909) 820-2517.

After properly verifying the license of the professional you wish to hire, you should ensure that other requirements related to your project are adhered to. For example, to begin construction and building projects in Rialto, you must obtain a building permit from the Rialto Building and Safety Division. Queries regarding building permits can be directed to this Division at (909) 820-2505.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Rialto Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Rialto City Council is the city's governing body and is responsible for creating policies, making budget decisions, and performing other administrative duties. The City Council is elected by city residents and comprises a Mayor and four Councilmembers. The Rialto Planning Commission plans citywide meetings which residents can voluntarily attend, and these meetings provide an avenue for you to meet and familiarize yourself with your community. You can contact the Planning Commission at (909) 820-2505 to find out when the next neighborhood meeting will take place. Note that the Rialto City Council does not issue home improvement permits, as this duty is under the purview of the Rialto Building and Safety Division. However, the City Council makes decisions that pertain to infrastructural projects and public construction in the city. For example, in March 2021, the City Council approved the second phase of the wastewater microgrid project. Also, in September 2021, the City Council allocated part of the $29 million Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Fund to the improvement of the city's water, sewer, and broadband infrastructure.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Rialto?

To file an unfair business complaint in Rialto, you need to identify the regulatory agency overseeing the occupational category of the professional or business you are complaining against. For example, to make a complaint about a Contractor, you can contact the Contractors State License Board at (800) 321-2752 or utilize the Board's consumer complaint processes. The California Attorney General (AG) Office maintains a complaint referral portal that you can check to identify the occupational categories each regulatory agency oversees and the complaints mechanism available to consumers. If your complaint is against a business without a regulating agency, you can file the complaint directly with the California AG Office online or by mail. To file your complaint by mail, you need to download a Consumer Complaint Against A Business/Corporation form and mail the completed form to:

  • Public Inquiry Unit
  • Office of the Attorney General
  • P.O. Box 944255
  • Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

Note that complaints filed with the California AG Office or any regulatory agency are generally addressed in the public's interest, and you may not be individually compensated. To pursue your compensation, you can utilize a local mediation program closest to you. Mediation typically involves a voluntary meeting between you and the relevant business or professional, usually facilitated by a neutral third party, to settle your consumer grievances amicably. If mediation fails, you can file a small claims case against the business or professional with the Small Claims Division of the San Bernardino Superior Court. You should note that the Small Claims Division only handles cases with claims less than $10,000. While an attorney cannot represent you during the small claims proceedings, it is advisable to consult one for advice before appearing in court.