Get Quotes from Top Contractors in San Mateo ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in San Mateo?

The California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) licenses and regulates several professionals in San Mateo through over 30 boards and bureaus, and residents can verify the license of most professionals through the DCA license check portal. However, this license check portal does not have licensing information on certain professionals, including contractors and real estate appraisers. To verify the license of a professional not included in the DCA license check portal, you can check the relevant licensing Board's license verification portal or contact the Board. For example, residents who intend to engage a construction-related professional can verify their preferred contractor's licence by checking the license check portal of the Contractors State License Board or contacting this Board at (800) 321-2752. For more inquiries on verifying a professional's license, consumers can contact the DCA via email or at (800) 952-5210.

It is not enough to be informed about the license status of a professional. It is also crucial to satisfy the local requirements relevant to your project. For instance, residents who are planning home improvement or construction projects are required to obtain one or more building permits. These building permits are issued by the San Mateo Community Development Department (CDD), and residents can apply for permits through the Citizen Self-Service Portal (CSS). Queries regarding building permits can be directed to the Building Division of the city's CDD by email or at (650) 522-7172.

California Contractor License Search:

Do San Mateo Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The San Mateo United Homeowners Association (SMUHA) is the umbrella organization for all neighborhood and homeowner groups in San Mateo. The SMUHA addresses matters of concern among these groups and coordinates their activities by allowing members to identify areas of mutual interest. Residents can contact the SMUHA by email or by filling an online form to make inquiries regarding neighborhood groups and general neighborhood coordination. Although the SMUHA does not issue building permits, it assists neighborhood groups in fostering cooperation among San Mateo residents and keeping residents updated on city activities that may affect their neighborhoods. For instance, the SMUHA contributed to the enlightenment of city residents on the benefits and progress of the 25th Avenue Grade Separation Project. The benefits of this project include the improvement of safe transit among pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists, and the improvement of traffic flow in the city. Also, in August 2021, the SMUHA recommended that the San Mateo Park Neighborhood Association (SMPNA) Board of Directors and residents should take action against two pending state housing legislations that may end single-family zoning and change how Accessory Dwelling Units are regulated.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in San Mateo?

The San Mateo County District Attorney's Office is the agency in charge of addressing unfair business complaints in San Mateo. These complaints are handled through this office's Consumer & Environmental Protection Unit, and consumers can lodge complaints by calling (650) 363-4651 or by printing out a complaint form and sending the completed form via email or mail it to:

  • Consumer and Environment Protection Unit
  • San Mateo County District Attorney's Office
  • Hall of Justice and Records
  • 400 County Center
  • 3rd Floor
  • Redwood City, CA 94063

Complaints received by the San Mateo County District Attorney's Office, through the Consumer & Environmental Protection Unit, are usually investigated and addressed through various measures. However, note that the District Attorney's Office cannot provide legal advice or represent private individuals seeking the return of their money or other personal remedies. To get monetary compensation, consumers should consider consulting with a private attorney for legal advice or filing a small claims lawsuit at the San Mateo County Superior Court of California. Consumers can find private attorneys in San Mateo by utilizing the San Mateo County Bar Association's lawyer referral service.