Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Santa Clara ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Santa Clara?

The 39 boards and bureaus of the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) are charged with the licensing and regulation of professionals in Santa Clara. With more than 200 different categories of professionals currently offering their services to interested residents in the city, confirming the licensing status of your preferred professional is a necessary step to take in ensuring the success of your project. To this end, the DCA provides interested parties with access to a license search tool that can be used to authenticate the licenses of Santa Clara professionals.

Note that in addition to authenticating your preferred professional's licensing status, you should also make sure that you obtain any city-issued permits that may be required for your project before it begins. For example, you will typically be required to obtain a permit if your project involves the erection, construction, enlargement, alteration, repair, improvement, conversion, or demolishment of any building or structure in Santa Clara. The Santa Clara Community Development Department generally handles the issuing of permits in the city, and it performs this task through its Permit Center. You can contact this center at (408) 615-2420 to make inquiries on the types of permits that may be needed for your project and the procedure for obtaining them. Building and construction-related inquiries can also be directed to the department's Building Division at (408) 615-2440.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Santa Clara Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Santa Clara is home to several community-based organizations that work towards improving the safety, livability, and overall way of life of its residents by providing social, health, housing, and other beneficial services to interested parties. However, while some of these organizations may offer residents of Santa Clara access to information and resources that can be utilized to make the permit-obtaining process relatively easier, none of them are authorized to issue these permits to interested parties. In September 2021, the Santa Clara City Council passed a vote that authorized the go-ahead of the city's Downtown Precise Plan. This was done despite concerns from members of the public and even some city officials with regards to the plan's apparent lack of protection for historic homes in the area. Also in September 2021, following numerous hurdles since its initial proposal in 2015, Santa Clara celebrated the groundbreaking of its agrihood project at 90 N. Winchester Boulevard. This project is believed to be the first-of-its-kind agrihood urban development in Northern California.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Santa Clara?

You can report matters concerning false advertising, unlawful or fraudulent business practices, and other consumer-related issues in Santa Clara to the Consumer Protection Unit of the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office for investigation and possible prosecution. Reports can be made either by completing and submitting this unit's online consumer complaint form or printing a pdf version of the consumer complaint form, and mailing the duly completed form to:

  • Santa Clara County
  • Office of the District Attorney
  • Mediation Services
  • Consumer Protection Unit
  • 70 West Hedding Street
  • San Jose, CA 95110

While this unit typically employs mediation techniques to resolve issues between consumers and businesses, this mediation process is entirely voluntary and businesses cannot be forced to participate in it. Also, depending on the nature of your complaint, the matter may be escalated for either civil or criminal prosecution at an appropriate court of law. You can contact the Consumer Protection Unit via email or by calling (408) 792-2880 to make inquiries related to its complaint resolution process.

In the event that the Consumer Protection Unit takes legal action against the business named in your complaint, it should be noted that said action is done on behalf of the public. As such, there is no guarantee that this action will result in any form of personal relief for you. Nevertheless, you can take private legal action against the business by retaining the services of a lawyer and filing a civil lawsuit with the Santa Clara County Superior Court. You can get access to qualified lawyers near you via the Santa Clara Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service. In situations where you are seeking monetary claims that do not exceed $10,000, you can utilize the small claims self-help resources provided by the Santa Clara County Superior Court to file a civil case at its Small Claims Division without the services of a lawyer.