Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Simi Valley ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Simi Valley?

The licensing and regulation of over 200 types of professionals in Simi Valley is handled by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). This department has more than 30 regulatory boards and bureaus that issue professional licenses to eligible individuals in Simi Valley, and you should always confirm that your professional has been duly licensed before retaining their services. Failure to do this can result in poor service delivery and possible financial liabilities. You can confirm the licensing status of professionals in Simi Valley by conducting online searches via the DCA's license search tool.

Furthermore, failing to obtain any applicable permits required for your intended project can result in city-imposed fines and administrative penalties. Permits are generally required for projects that involve the substantial alteration or modification of real property. This includes the construction of new buildings as well as the replacement or repair of electrical, plumbing, and mechanical systems. Permit issuing in Simi Valley is primarily handled by the city's Department of Environmental Services through its Building and Safety Division, and you can direct permit-related queries to this division at (805) 583-6723.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Simi Valley Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Simi Valley neighborhood councils do not issue permits. However, these councils offer residents of the city a regular opportunity to voice their concerns on matters that involve their neighborhoods by acting as a link between these residents and the city government. Neighborhood councils also work with city officials to develop ideas and recommendations on matters involving community services, public safety, development projects, and other resident-related issues. Simi Valley is currently divided into four neighborhood council districts, and each neighborhood council consists of a 13-member volunteer executive board that represents the residents of the area. You can utilize the city's online council district map to find your neighborhood council district. You can also direct queries related to Simi Valley neighborhood councils to the city's Neighborhood Council Coordinator at (805) 583-6756.

In September 2021, the city council announced a series of public meetings to be held on the upcoming redistricting process. This redistricting involves redrawing district lines in the city to balance the population of the four Simi Valley council districts, and these meetings are intended to allow residents to share their opinions and provide suggestions for the process. In October 2021, it was reported that the city council had voted to allow breweries, microbreweries, wineries, and distilleries to operate in the city's industrial areas, with some council members hailing this as an opportunity for residents to benefit from these types of businesses.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Simi Valley?

Matters involving unfair, unlawful, deceptive, and fraudulent business practices in Simi Valley are investigated and prosecuted by the Consumer Fraud Unit of the Ventura County District Attorney's Office. You can file a complaint with this office by downloading, completing, and submitting a consumer complaint form to:

  • Consumer Fraud Unit Special Prosecutions
  • District Attorney's Office
  • County of Ventura
  • 5720 Ralston Street
  • Suite 300
  • Ventura, CA 93003

It is advisable to provide copies of any documents related to your complaint. This can include contracts, canceled checks, payment receipts, and any correspondence between you and the business. Queries related to the complaint process can also be directed to (805) 662-1750. It should be noted that there is no guarantee that filing a consumer complaint with the Ventura County District Attorney's Office will lead to a satisfactory resolution of your issue. If you are unsatisfied with the resolution reached by this office, then you may take further action by pursuing private legal action. This legal action may include filing a small claims case at the Simi Valley Court located at:

  • East County Courthouse
  • 3855-F Alamo Street
  • Simi Valley, CA 93063

You can contact the Small Claims Advisor in Simi Valley at (805) 306-7930 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, for free assistance on how to pursue a small claims case. Note that this assistance is provided to interested parties on a first-come, first-served basis. Alternatively, you can contact the Ventura County Bar Association at (805) 650-7599 or via email to get referrals to qualified attorneys near you that can provide you with legal advice concerning your legal action. Note that you may be required to pay a fee for this service.