Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Torrance, CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Torrance?

The licensing and regulation of professionals in Torrance City are handled by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) through more than 30 boards, bureaus, and commissions. Residents of Torrance City intending to hire the services of a professional should be wary of individuals without an active license. Such individuals may have been suspended and had their license revoked, or may even be fraudsters. Interested parties can verify a professional's license by utilizing the DCA's license search webpage or by contacting the DCA at (800) 952-5210.

Besides verifying a professional's license, residents should also ensure that the professional has satisfied other necessary occupational requirements. For example, before undertaking building-related projects in Torrance City, construction contractors must procure the applicable permit. The City's Department of Community Development generally issues these permits through its Building and Safety Division. Accordingly, queries on building-related permits can be directed to the Division at (310) 618-5910.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Torrance Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Torrance is currently organized into six districts, and the city's neighborhoods are sorted into each of these districts. The city is governed by a City Council, which comprises six council members and the City Mayor. Although the City Council performs various administrative functions, such as approving the city budget and developing city laws, it does not issue construction or home improvement permits. Nonetheless, the City Council ensures that the city's unique problems, which may include health or housing problems, are actively and properly tackled. For example, in January 2021, the City Council began discussions on taking control of the city's ambulance service. This takeover will effectively end the city's agreement with private companies currently providing ambulance services for city residents and is also expected to help the city save operational costs. Also, in June 2021, the City Council approved the city's first homeless shelter to house homeless people and reduce occurrences of street campings.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Torrance?

Cases of unfair business practices and illegal business or professional conduct in Torrance City can be reported to the Los Angeles County Department of Consumer or Business Affairs (DCBA). This Department receives such reports online or in person. Parties that wish to make reports in person are required to obtain a consumer complaint form, which is available in English and Spanish, fill it, and then return the properly completed form to

  • County of Los Angeles
  • Department of Consumer and Business Affairs
  • 500 West Temple Street
  • Room B-96
  • Los Angeles, CA 90012-2706

Alternatively, interested parties can choose to mutually settle consumer-related issues by applying for a mediation session with the DCBA. You can apply for a DCBA mediation online or in person by filling an appropriate English or Spanish mediation request form and submitting it to the address provided above. Note that mediation sessions are not compulsory. As such, the other party cannot be summoned to attend the session and must be willing to go through the mediation process with you. For more inquiries on how the DCBA mediation works, what complaints can be mediated, and general assistance, you can contact the DCBA at (800) 593-8222 or (213) 974-1452.

Although the DCBA investigates and addresses reports of unfair and illegal business practices, note that such actions are not done on behalf of the complainant or in the complainant's interest. To ensure that your interest is protected and you get redress, you can sue the business or professional you are complaining against at the Los Angeles County Superior Court of California's Small Claims Court. Note that the individual maximum monetary claim this court handles is $10,000. Also, even though there are no attorney representations at the small claims court, it is recommended that you consult an attorney before taking any legal steps.