Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Visalia ,CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in Visalia?

The licensing of about 280 types of professionals in Visalia is handled by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) through its boards and bureaus. These professionals include plumbers, contractors, carpenters, electricians, engineers, and welders. You can verify that your intended professional is duly licensed, and therefore qualified to carry out the required job, by utilizing the license search portal provided by the DCA.

In addition to verifying the licensing status of the professional, you may also be required to obtain a local permit if the project you are hiring the professional for involves construction work. These permits are obtainable from the Visalia Community Development Department through its Building Safety Division. You can find out more about the city's permitting process by contacting the Building Safety Division at (559) 713-4444.

California Contractor License Search:

Do Visalia Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Visalia consists of five districts, each of which elects a council member to represent it in the City Council. This Council is Visalia's legislative body, and is responsible for enacting laws and establishing policies. The City Council is also responsible for creating policies that regulate land use in the city. However, this Council does not have the authority to issue permits to residents of the city. In August 2021, the City Council decided to construct two buildings, one for new council chambers and the other for police administration. In the same month, the City Council also took major steps to provide 90 units of housing for the homeless. These steps included approving the sale of a former lumber yard to a private company for $1.2 million and authorizing the release of $2.7 million to fund the project.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Visalia?

Visalia residents can file an unfair business complaint with the California Department of Justice through the Office of the Attorney General. To file a complaint, you can fill out the online consumer complaint form provided by the Attorney General's Office. Alternatively, you may download a printable complaint form, complete it, and mail it along with other necessary documents that buttress your claim to:

  • Analyst, Public Inquiry Unit,
  • Office of the Attorney General,
  • P.O. Box 944255,
  • Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

While filling any of these forms, you may decide to withhold your name and other personal details so as to remain anonymous. However, by remaining anonymous, you will be unable to receive feedback as regards the progress of the complaint, and the office may also be unable to help you resolve your complaint.

The Attorney General's Office will typically try to resolve the complaint using methods like mediation and prosecution, where necessary. It may also refer the complaint to another governmental agency that is involved in regulating the activities of the defaulting business. However, regardless of the method used to resolve the complaint, there is no guarantee that you will receive monetary relief. This is particularly because the Attorney General's Office cannot act as your private attorney in any capacity. As such, the office will not answer any legal questions you may have, nor will it represent you in court. For legal advice and representation, it is advisable that you contact a private attorney. You can get referrals to private attorneys in the Visalia by contacting the State Bar of California at (866) 442-2529. Note, you can file a legal action without an attorney at the Tulare County Small Claims Court if your claim is not above $10,000.