Get Quotes from Top Contractors in San Diego, CA

How to Verify a Professional's License in San Diego?

The licensing of more than 200 types of professions and occupations in San Diego is handled at the state level by the California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) through several boards and bureaus. When you have to hire a professional in the city, it is necessary to make sure that this individual is duly licensed to properly carry out the required task. You can do this by utilizing the DCA license search tool that allows you verify the licensing status of professionals located in San Diego.

Note that certain types of tasks and projects in San Diego may have additional requirements that have to be met before they can be commenced. For example, projects that involve new construction or additions to existing structures and projects that involve the remodeling or repair of electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems require a permit. San Diego city permits are issued by the San Diego Department of Development Services and queries concerning the specific types of permits that you may require for your project as well the procedure for obtaining these permits can be directed to (619) 446-5000. You should also consider contacting your local community planning area for any additional requirements that may be specific to your area of residence.

California Contractor License Search:

Do San Diego Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The neighborhoods and communities in San Diego are currently divided into 52 community planning areas. Each community planning area typically has a community planning group that offers advice and provides official recommendations to the San Diego City Council on matters involving land use development proposals and other community goals. However, these community planning groups are not authorized to issue permits for construction, home improvement, and other related projects. You can access the contact information, meeting times, and locations of your local community planning group online via the community planning groups contact list provided by San Diego. In July 2021, the city council voted unanimously in favor of creating a Pacific Beach community district parking district with the full support of the Pacific Beach community planning group and other interested parties. That same month, the Midway-Pacific Highway community planning group declined to select any of the five proposed alternatives for the Navy's NAVWAR redevelopment plan, citing its recently updated community plan as the reason for doing so.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in San Diego?

Residents of San Diego can file complaints concerning unfair and deceptive trade and business practices in the city by completing and submitting a complaint form online to the Affirmative Civil Enforcement Unit of the City Attorney's Office. This office can also be contacted at:

  • 1200 Third Avenue
  • Suite 1100
  • San Diego, CA 92101-4103
  • Phone: (619) 533-5800

Alternatively, you can file a complaint with the San Diego District Attorney's Consumer Protection Unit by mailing a completed consumer complaint form, along with any supporting documents, to:

  • Office of the District Attorney
  • Consumer Protection Unit
  • P.O. Box 121011
  • San Diego, CA 92112-1011

Note that the San Diego City and District Attorneys' Offices are primarily prosecutorial offices that do not represent individuals and, depending on the nature of your complaint, the matter may be referred to an appropriate agency for further investigation. As such, if you intend to seek monetary claims or remedies, then it is advised that you also take any necessary private legal actions as soon as possible. This is usually done through a San Diego Small Claims Court. Note that even though you can typically file cases in small claims courts without a lawyer, it is always a good idea to get proper legal advice before you commence any legal actions. You can get referrals on qualified lawyers near you by contacting the San Diego County Bar Association at (619)231-8585 or toll-free number (800) 464-1529.